Sunday, January 31, 2010

wowie wowie wow!!


I wanted to take a tiny break from writing about wine to tell all of you some really exciting news. *cue the big band* I just got offered the part of Maureen (see above) in the Monterey Peninsula College production of Rent! I'm so flabbergasted (is that how you spell that word?) right now I barely know what to say. I'm still in total shock.
I went to the audition last Saturday, mainly just for the hell of it. A couple of my friends were auditioning and I figured, why not? I honestly didn't think anything would come of it, because I don't have a lot of theater experience. Haven't done musical theater since I was a kid, although I've been in a band for a long time and I have modern acting and improv experience. I honestly thought that, if I was lucky, I might get ensemble or something. I had to sing and dance for the audition, which was fun. I picked up the dance routine really easily and I sang Don't Speak by No Doubt. Wasn't my first choice song, but it was all I could find the sheet music for :). 
So the director called me back to go in the next day. I did some line reading with a group of about 20. Then, he called me back in to go on Tuesday with 2 potential Joannes (Maureen's girlfriend). Then, he called me back in on Thursday to read with another possible Joanne and to do Maureen's performance piece for the director, which was crazy fun. I was really, umm, hopeful that I might get the part, but I wasn't convinced or anything. There were many girls trying out for Maureen (according to my friend Armie, "every girl and their mother was after the part of Maureen").
Nevertheless, the director called me yesterday and offered me the part!! I was at work and I was so happy I started screeching in the kitchen and jumping up and down like a 5-year-old! The staff was entertained, for sure. 
Anyway, rehearsals start in June and the performances are in August. I can't wait! Now I have something I can cross off of my bucket list - (co-)star in a musical as a adult!! If any of you happen to be in the Monterey area around that time, check it out! 

p.s. it was all worth it just for my dad's reaction (he did musical theater when he was younger). he is so proud and it makes my heart swell. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I love that play. It's one of my favorites and the music is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm pretty stoked. It'll be hard work, but I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete